Local Governing Committee (LGC)
Ashley CofE Primary School is an academy in the Good Shepherd Trust, a family of church school academies within the Diocese of Guildford. For more information on the Trust please click here.
Summary of Remit and Responsibilities of Local Governing Committees
- To develop the Christian ethos, vision and values of the (church) school in line with those of The Good Shepherd Trust and reflecting the needs of the local community
- To seek assurance and evaluate the impact and effectiveness (of church schools) with the SIAMS framework
- To support and challenge the school’s leadership team
- To demonstrate appropriate challenge by holding school leaders to account for academic performance, quality of care, provision and safeguarding
- To challenge and support in terms of learning, standards, safety and wellbeing. This includes identifying committee members that take on a special link responsibility in areas including: Safeguarding, SENd, Health and Safety and Early Years and Sixth Form (where applicable).
- To consider the impact of the school’s/s’ performance of spending against budget expenditure.
- To follow the Trust policy for dealing with complaints and support the Headteacher in the recruitment and selection, grievance and disciplinary processes, where permitted and appropriate.
- To participate in panels to review the decisions of the Headteacher of other Schools within the Trust in exclusion cases where appropriate and, if requested, for staff recruitment.
- To record visits to the school/s both during school hours (with prior arrangement with the Headteacher) and other events as appropriate.
- To draw any significant recommendations and matters of concern to the attention of the Trust Board via the Director of Education/CEO as appropriate.
The Local Governing Committee meets six times per year, plus an additional 'business meeting', and all Members are expected to attend. The LGC has subcommittees that meet to focus on particular aspects of School life, such as the Safeguarding Sub-Committee (LGC and Staff members, meets monthly). Other ad-hoc committees meet when appropriate (eg Pupil Discipline Committee).
See the LGC's Terms of Reference here.
LGC Members and Responsibilities 2020/21
REVD CATHY BLAIR (Foundation Member) Acting Chair of LGC (from 11/7/20) Term of office: 01/09/2015 - 31/08/2023 (2nd term)
- Acting chair of LGC
- Member of Staff Appeals Committee
- Subject lead Member for Religious Education and Upper Key Stage 2
- Chair of Admissions Committee
- Lead Member for English and Lower Key Stage 2
MRS GEORGINA BROADHURST (Parent Member) Term of office: 25/07/2018 - 24/07/2022
- Member of Resources Committee
- Lead Member for EYFS and Physical Education
- Lead Member for Communication and Engagement
MR ALEX CLARK (Ex-officio - head teacher) Term of office: 01/01/2020 onwards
MS KAROLA ZAKRZEWSKA (Parent Member) Term of office: 02/06/2020 - 01/06/2024
- Roles not yet assigned
MR MARTYN McCARTHY (Foundation Member) Term of office: 01/09/2017 - 31/08/2021
- Member of Resources Committee and Admissions Committee
- Lead Member for Safeguarding and Special Educational Needs and Disabilities
- Chair of the Pupil and Staff Disciplinary committee
MR MELVYN MILLS (General Member) Term of office: 01/09/2019 - 31/08/2023
- Member of Resources and Staff Appeals Committee
- Lead Member for Mathematics and Key Stage 1
MRS JACKIE STEVENS (Staff Member) Term of office: 10/03/2020 - 31/08/2020 (resigned)
Vacancy (General Member)
Vacancy (General Member)
MRS YVONNE MORRISROE
- Clerk to Governing Committee
Statutory reporting of members of the Local Governing Committee (including terms of office) is on Get Information About Schools.
LGC members’ contact details: firstname.lastname@example.org
Local Governing Committee Meeting Dates 2020-21:
10 September 2020 16.00 (business meeting)
22 October 2020 16.00
10 December 2020 16.00
04 February 2021 16.00
18 March 2021 16.00
06 May 2021 16.00
01 July 2021 16.00
Please note that LGC meetings are not 'open' meetings. See LGC Terms of Reference(above) for details.